Thursday, January 10, 2013

Just an Update

The jetlag has worn off. My luggage is stowed. Cleaning, errands, and piano practice are my primary occupations.

The next semester is begining in less than two weeks and I haven't even applied yet. The deadline for degree-seeking student passed in December so now I'm stuck with all the extra paperwork and residency applications that go with the non-degree seeking student application. We saw an apartment by the University yesterday but, being Vegas, it's in a traditionally seedy area (and it's not even furnished). So if we can pull all this together (application, housing, finances, the move, credit extension, residency, transcript from Salamanca, etc) by next wednesday, I will be attending the University of Nevada Las Vegas.

I'm more unsure of which major I'll choose than when I was a high school senior, but here's the list:

--Hospitality Management
--Music Performance
--Primary Education

...or some combination of the two.

I'm hesitant to each one, though. 

Working in a hotel or running a hostel is up my alley, maybe. After looking at the classes I'll have to take, I'm not so sure. There's a lot of accounting courses (I consider accounting to be a math) and such. After not practicing an instrument for two years, I'm not convinced that the music department would accept me. And as for Primary Education, well, it's the closest the have to English Language Teaching (ELT). Though they don't have much of anything to do with ELT, just one upper level couse. Would three years for this major be worth it? I don't want to deal with courses like "Math in the 4th grade classroom". Besides ELT, I'm not interested in classroom education for native english speakers.

For this, my choices are all across the board. But everything will fall in place. If I can get from Budapest to Salamanca after missing a very crucial flight, I can choose a university major.

No comments:

Post a Comment